What can I fly with my licence?

Aircraft are divided into two areas for licensing purposes:

  • EASA aircraft
  • non-EASA aircraft


This classification applies to types of aircraft, not individual aircraft. For example, if a Cessna 172N is a so-called EASA aircraft, it's because all the Cessna 172Ns are classified as EASA aircraft. And if a Yakovlev Yak-52 is not a so-called EASA aircraft, it's because all Yakovlev Yak-52 are non-EASA aircraft. Non-EASA aircraft are also known as Annex I (one) aircraft.


EASA aircraft

Many aircraft in Europe are classified as EASA aircraft, regardless of where they were built or registered. This includes many of the types - like the Cessna lineup, the Piper PA-28 and PA-38, Cirrus,...

In Belgium, Part-FCL licences may use EASA aircraft registered in Belgium and registered with one of the EASA member states in accordance with the characteristics indicated on their licence.


Non-EASA aircraft


Non-EASA aircraft are non-EASA aircraft or Annex I (one) aircraft. Non-EASA aircraft are listed in Annex I of Regulation (EU) No 2018/1139. They are ruled by national regulations.

In Belgium, you need a Part-FCL licence (holding at least the privileges of a PPL licence) with a single piston engine rating (SEP (L)) to fly Non-EASA aircraft.

For certain types of non-EASA aircraft, you need a national annex to your Part-FCL licence (with at least PPL licence privileges) whether issued by Belgium or another State Member of EASA with a single piston engine rating. To find out about Non-EASA aircraft on which a national annex is required click here. In order to hold this qualification, we invite you to contact an instructor with the privileges.