Which licence is right for me?

Many licences are now issued in accordance with European standards and are equally valid and recognised throughout Europe. These are known as EASA (European Aviation Safety Agency) licences and include the following:


EASA licences


Private Pilot's Licence (PPL) (Part-FCL)

Available for aeroplanes and helicopters, the Private Pilot’s Licence is recognised worldwide.


Light Aircraft Pilot’s Licence (LAPL) (Part-FCL)

Available for aeroplanes, helicopters, balloons and gliders, the concept behind the LAPL was to create a simplified licence with a shorter training course and less onerous medical standards. In the case of aeroplanes and helicopters it is limited to a maximum take-off weight of two tonnes and no more than three passengers. With some extra training it can be upgraded to the PPL.


Sailplane Pilot’s Licence (SPL) (Part-SFCL)

The primary licence for glider flying (this licence can be extended to include Touring Motor Gliders).


Balloon Pilot’s Licence (BPL) (Part-BFCL)

For flight in hot air balloons.


Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) (Part-FCL)

Available for aeroplanes and helicopters, the Commercial Pilot Licence allows, as a pilot, commercial air transport.


Multi-pilot licence (MPL) (Part-FCL)

The Multi-plage licence allows to act as a co-pilot in an airplane to be used with a co-pilot in commercial air transport.


Airline transport pilot licence (ATPL) (Part-FCL)

Available for aeroplanes and helicopters, the Airline Transport Pilot Licence allows to act as pilot-in-command on aircraft used for commercial air transport


National licences


Some aircraft are still regulated by national authorities that issue national licences. These included:

  • Training authorisation of training on board an ultralight motorized aircraft.
  • Pilotage authorisation for a powered ultralight aircraft
  • Pilotage authorisation of a paramotor