General Aviation Licenses

Pilot licensing regulations are standardised across all member states of the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA), including Belgium. The EASA regulations have introduced a number of new pilot licences which are replacing licences issued by national authorities across European Union, Island, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

These licences are known as Part-FCL licences. Part-FCL is the main piece of European Union legislation introducing the changes.


In many cases, a Part-FCL licence is already required to fly with EASA regulated aircraft.


Some authorisations or licences, mainly for powered ultralights, are still issued by national aviation authorities such as BCAA, which apply different legislation according each State. These authorisations or licences are called national licences.


The type of license you need depends on the aircraft you want to fly.